Planning Ahead

I’d forgotten how nice this feels.

photo (3)

I called it an early night with a book in bed last night. A rare action, but one I must start doing more of.

b389ccbc78c637a0acf3a8f76d3c8abc

I was playing 20 questions yesterday and I asked my friend where he sees himself in 5 years. He had a very descriptive response, which I enjoyed hearing. Then, he asked me. I realized I didn’t have one.

Is it bad to not have a 5-year plan? If I’m happy with where I am, living life as an adventure, do I need to narrate and craft out a plan for the various stages of my life?

Speaking of planning, I really had to get crafty in the kitchen this week since I was low on groceries. So, a lentil recipe was created.

super food lentils recipe

Super Food Lentils

1 bag on lentils

1 can of tomatoes

1/4 cup chopped jalapenos

1 inch square of any flavor cheese

2 Tablespoons olive oil

1 Tablespoon dijon mustard

Season with red pepper flakes, garlic salt, pepper, and hot sauce

Instructions

Cook the bag of lentils in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. Add all other ingredients, occasionally mixing over low heat for 10 minutes.

Lentils

This is a perfect budget-friendly meal. All items were less than $2 (if that) and the meal contains roughly 5-8 servings. Win!

Question: Do you have a 5-year or 10-year plan? Is it essential to have one?

3d29894fa3e13f3eebf18f1ad28bd0a3
a6be54e3a94f724a9e52fbdab77f7ee1

Comments

1. Nancy Vetter says

When in doubt about where you’re going in life? COOK! Seriously, having a one, two or five year plan may or may not work for you. Some of the most successful people in life had no plans whatsoever; others were planned to the minute. Because I’m 60 years old (yeah, THAT OLD!) who had a few plans along the way that did and didn’t work, here’s my advice: As long as you’re willing to accept the consequences of your choices in life, who cares? And, here’s a final thought I once heard: “When we make plans for our life, God laughs.” So, there ya go.

2. Hillary says

Love the advice from the comment above! I’ll echo all the sentiments, and add my own. I think every person is different and every person’s life experience is different. Honestly, to me, having a plan that extensive seems both intimidating and boring. What if your interests change? What if a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity pops up? What if you win the lottery and suddenly want to take a hot air balloon trip around the world? I think it’s important to set future goals for yourself, but to understand that “life’s a recipe” (says my mom) and that your plans are simply that – plans! Not set in stone!

3. Michael Katzen says

Question: since the “rare commodity” is the book, your second sentence is a bit out of kilter. “one I must start doing more of” refers to reading not the book/commodity.

Michael A. Katzen

Katzen & Frye, P.C.

7272 Hanover Green Drive

Mechanicsville, VA 23111

804 746-3296 (office)

804 730-8739 (fax)

This communication is confidential and is protected pursuant to the attorney-client privilege and the work-product doctrine. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender at 804-746-3296 by telephone and delete this email.

________________________________

It’s sometimes fun to come up with a plan, but I don’t think it’s necessary because it’s likely that you’ll end up on a different path anyway. Things really do seem to be a result of some chain of events so it’s nearly impossible to actually predict where you’ll be. I think it’s okay do have an idea, but sometimes I find myself stressing out about the future and there’s really no need to! :)
    Those lentils looks so good and easy! Yum!

Having life plans are funny things. I don’t really have one set in stone probably because I like to avoid disappointment and have tried to learn to go with the flow more. I’d like to create one, just like a running plan but don’t really like sharing them with people because I feel guilty or embarrassed if they go astray.

As for food creations, I love mixing up what I have in the house!

• Anne @ CandyCrazedrun.wordpress.com says

I am right there with you! I have never been one of the people who wants to get married at x, kids at y, a house at z. Heaven forbid something goes off track, I would hate to feel like a failure when really what’s meant to happen will!

I miss reading in bed- so relaxing! The book looks like a good one; I’ll have to check it out! I honestly have never had a 5 yr plan- they never work out the way you think they will anyways, so why not just live in the moment :)

I’m with you on not really having a five year plan. I mean, I have a general idea of what I want to achieve, but in terms of specifics? No. I just find that I spent too much time in the past trying to come up with detailed plans only to have life happen and change them all.

8. Anne @ CandyCrazedrun.wordpress.com says

First of all lentils are without a doubt one of my favorite foods on earth!
    Second I absolutely adore hearing about other’s career dreams, goals and aspirations. That being said I am in the same boat as you. I know that I am young I and I have no IDEA what I really want. I instead focused now on doing the best I possibly can on what I am currently doing. I want to be a sponge and be curious and absorb everything!

I guess I kind of have a five year plan– aka graduate and get a job! but it’s not really much more specific than that. I think it’s good to have goals or aspirations but a strict “plan” just seems to put too much pressure on you.

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed reading before bed too! I just started again in the last few weeks instead of surfing the internet and it’s just much more relaxing :)

No plan here! I have goals that I’d like to achieve but I get all worked up when I put myself on a timeline. I pretty much spent the entire first year post grad freaking out about my life. It wasn’t fun. Then I decided it was okay to not have a plan (big step for me!) and one year later I am feeling much better and confident in where I am. I’m starting to get restless at my job though and am considering making some big moves gahhhh but again no timeline!

Sit back and enjoy the ride girl! You never know where life will take you but it will all work out as it should :)

Trackbacks