What’s in a Craving?

You know that feeling where you’re not hungry but you’re dying to have that extra brownie, taco, or chicken finger? Why is it that on some days, our sweet tooth (or salty tooth) is on fire?

20130206-125019.jpg

Some days, one really is enough but on other days…

I’m a very in-the-moment kind of gal. This may sound like a great thing but it often gets me into trouble.

live-in-the-future

Capture

These are of course popular issues that many people have, no matter the mindset.

change it

How do you deal with sweets/salty cravings?

I personally like to allow myself treats from time to time but when I know I’m no longer hungry yet still crave something, that’s when I have to put my mind into gear and look towards the future and distract myself.

Comments

1. Michael Katzen says

Nice blog-I like the part about taking control over what you have power over. Simple but effective.

Michael A. Katzen

Katzen & Frye, P.C.

7272 Hanover Green Drive

Mechanicsville, VA 23111

804 746-3296 (office)

804 730-8739 (fax)

This communication is confidential and is protected pursuant to the attorney-client privilege and the work-product doctrine. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender at 804-746-3296 by telephone and delete this email.

________________________________

buttonedandbustled- you shouldn’t deprive yourself, so long as you watch your portions. For a craving, and especially for your chocolate craving try a Hershey’s Kiss or a Dove Promises Dark Chocolate square (has about 40 calories for one). The dark chocolate has antioxidants, too; so, essentially, you’re getting some good things while satisfying that chocolate craving.

I try to eat only one square of chocolate and suck it in till it melts. It seems to last longer :-p I’ve gotten so much better over the last year. Before I could quite easily sit and eat 300g of chocolate in one sitting !

I love this quote! The best way I deal with cravings is to give myself a portion of them, chips, brownies, whatever, and then walk away with that one serving. If I am holding the chips or standing over the tray of brownies, I am apt to have 2 or 5 ;)

I agree–I let myself have treats, but I try to plan ahead for them. For example, I can’t live without ice cream. But I don’t keep it at home, so I have to buy some, then I’ll eat a protein & veggie-ful dinner, and count the ice cream into my calories. OR if I just can’t plan ahead, then I make sure I stick to one serving with no go-backs! That’s the rule! :-)

I am way more likely to give into cravings when I tired, sad, emotional….and on days when i don’t work out! it’s funnier that the more I work out, the more disciplined I can be about staying on track with healthy eating.
    and hey, sometimes you just need a cookie :)

I always get random cravings. I’m still struggling with how to control them! I try to allow myself a little bit so I don’t feel deprived, but I feel like once I start I can’t stop.

Now I want a Tagalong! When a craving hits, I drink a big glass of water and try to wait it out. Research shows cravings last 10-15 minutes or something like that, but I agree–sometimes you *need* that piece of chocolate. ;)

Oh c’mon that girl scout cookie is pure torture. Now, I’m gonna have to find a girl scout. Lol
    I definitely allow a treat, usually just a bite will satisfy any craving.

I want that little cake in your photo! Thankfully I have none in my house or I would eat the whole box. I have little willpower when I’m in a snacky mood so I usually just roll with it. The next meal I just get right back to healthy eating.

This is something I definitely struggle with. I’m always craving something!!! Sometimes it’s impossible to ignore, other times, it isn’t. Usually when it isn’t that gets me into trouble though!

When I’m overly tired and stressed, I find that I crave certain foods or want to keep eating even though I’m not even hungry. When I feel this way, I’ll do my best to stray away from the kitchen and take a hot bath, get under the covers and become lost in a book, or do some type of stress relieving yoga.

If I am in the mood for a specific food, I make sure to have it. If you are craving something and you try to ignore that craving by eating something else – trust me – you will eat a few other things to try and rid yourself of the craving..and then end up eating what you wanted in the first place as well. So, if I crave chocolate, peanut butter, or even avocado (sometimes that is what I am in the mood for lol), I make sure to incorporate the food in my next meal/snack. And, I always tell my friends to go for the real thing, not a low fat version. So not as satisfying. I have a huge sweet tooth but since I switched to a vegetarian diet last year, I swear I do not crave sweets all that much. I absolutely eat a fabulous dessert whenever I dine out, but the craving for chocolate isn’t all that there. I often crave peanut butter but since I eat that every day I don’t know why or how I could crave it lol.

Trackbacks