Running Rut

Happy Monday afternoon! I’m currently having issues with my iPhone and it is a little troubling. (Side note, I’m a bit of a tech geek and I actually first started this blog as tech news until I found myself more interested in health and fitness blogs and topics.) 8-)

True life: I read Apple founder Steve Jobs' biography

True life: I read Apple founder Steve Jobs’ biography this summer

Anyways, I don’t have many pictures, which is never fun, so I’ll make my post quick. And add in some extra smileys. ;)

This morning, I had my usual oatmeal with peanut butter, cinnamon and brown sugar. I’m still working on cutting back the sugar in my oats. I also added coconut extract to my oats this morning and it was so good! Just a little drop will do to make you feel like your eating oats in the Caribbean. A girl can dream!

How cute? (Source)

How cute? (Source)

I felt a little lethargic this morning so I’ll be hitting the gym this evening. Yesterday after walking with my friends to their spin class, I decided to run home and ran for about 20 minutes. I think it’s been a month since I’ve gone on a legit hour run. It honestly felt great but I find that I get in a running rut and once I stop running, it’s hard to get back on the running wagon. I admire all the running bloggers for being so consistent in their training! It’s inspiring. It’s weird because I’ve done several races with friends and enjoy running with others in the warmer months but I’ve never been into running solo. I’m a chatty gal and I almost feel like I need a friend to talk my head off chat with as a distraction.

Question of the day: Do you like running solo or with friends? What motivates you or gets you through your run?

Have a great Monday guys!

If you liked this, check out...

Comments

I very rarely run with other people, but it is nice when we are just out trying to get some exercise in not when training. Weather is a better predictor for my runs, cold=terrible running, warm/super hot= great running.

I run solo but occasionally I’ll have a friend next to me on a treadmill and we’ll both just go our own pace but say a few words to each other every once in a while. I like to just stay focused on the run and breathing and talking is still too hard for me to do. Good music is always my motivator.

3. Francene Katzen says

I like running with another person, but just as happy to run alone. Even when I run with your Dad, we don’t talk-its my “Think” time.

I like both but as of late I have enjoyed running solo. I need the time to think things through and clear my nutty mind. Sometimes though, there’s nothing more uplifting than running with friends.

What’s funny is I prefer to run alone. lol. I consider it my “me” time. I am super chatty when in the gym and can talk the entire time on the elliptical or any other machine. I will even talk while walking on the treadmill but when I want my real workout (aka my run), I want to be left alone!

I would love to be able to run with people but I can never find anyone/anyone who is at my pace. Most of my running friends did XC so they run 7 minute easy miles vs my 10 minute mile. Listening to new music keeps me from getting bored…especially mash-up artists like Girl Talk and Super Mash Bros.

Running ruts are surprisingly easy to fix! As long as you mix up the distance, speed, and scenery, it keeps it fresh and exciting. If that doesn’t work, take a break and join a class :)

I’ve always preferred running solo. Its very cathartic for me. My husband wants to run together but he is much taller, faster, etc so always several steps ahead…extremely frustrating. Lol

9. Anne says

Ohhh that’s so cool you started out as a tech blog. I would love to read some tips/reviews!

I like to sweeten my oats with honey!

I do most of my runs solo because during races I’m all by myself (aka not chatting away ;)). However, I do enjoy running with others, especially my teammates. Even when I want to slow down and back off the pace during our practices, they challenge me to stick with it–I almost *don’t* have a choice except to keep running. :)

I usually prefer to run alone, but I like going to the gym with friends. Is that weird? haha I just prefer the running time to be solo because I like to think & zone out to music.

I get motivated by reminding myself how much better I will feel when I finish a workout.

I run solo because I don’t have any running friends. I wish I did! I find the cold weather is tough sometimes so I try to sign up for races to stay motivated. If I’m kind tuned out during my run, then I forget about the run and focus on the scenery and my breathing and stress relief which helps make time fly.

On another note, I like unsweetened applesauce in my oatmeal. No sugar but helps sweeten it up…banana does too!

That surfing dog made me smile! I enjoy running with friends and solo, but I do find I tend to run more solo. Upbeat music and cute running clothes keeps me motivated. Repeating mantras such as, “you can do it” or “you’re so close to the finish line” help me get through my runs. Sometimes I’ll imagine I’m racing against the other runners on the trail. I get into a running rut too, and as other bloggers noted, mixing it up may do the trick! :)

I run alone because I’m so embarrassingly slow! I actually love to do interval running and hate to do just long distance. I get bored and my brain wants to quit before my body actually needs to. I’m not actually a good runner so I should probably get off this thread :)
    But, I’ve been using the Zombies, Run app and that has been fun.

Trackbacks